Thursday, March 21, 2013

Basilique Notre-Dame Opening


Thursday morning in Lyon means meeting Mary Robinson Hubert on Place Bellecour for the weekly AVF Club meeting.

As the weather warms, the crowds
come out to the Vieux Lyon

Now, THAT'S a Color Wheel

The Good Doctor lived here in 1528

Stone Masonry Art

He was pretty good, so I left him a tip

This House was built in 1684

Garden Ledge

Basilique Notre-Dame
atop Fourvière Hill

The Basilique has been undergoing a major, seven year renovation project which has meant lots of scaffolding and tarps. The project is now finally over and the revamped Basilique re-opened a couple of weeks ago. It was time to see the new and improved Basilique up close and personal.

On the way to the funicular, I continued to see new things in Vieux Lyon.

Cool Red Door

Spring Flowers Freshly Planted

The Pig, the Whole Pig and
Nothing BUT the Pig!

I wonder if we can get shoulder
pads and a helmet on him?

Baby!

Old Rue Sign

Gargoyles For Sale

I finally got aboard the funicular which deposited me on the doorstep of the Basilique. The outside of this church is a work of art in itself.

Toiling Naked at Church?

Nice Angel

Lions Everywhere

Once safely inside the Basilique, I was truly in awe.

Magnificent!

Mosaics Everywhere I Looked

Opulent

The BVM

Gold is a Nice Color

Eagle On Guard

I did mention the mosaics

Headless St. Denis, I believe

Row, Row, Row Your Boat . . .

 Nice River Boat

Crazy Hair Day

The Main Altar

And then there was
the Stained Glass . . .

Perfect as well

Art Everywhere

Guarding the Grapes

St. Joan of Arc in Her Glory
Patron Saint of France

St. Joan of Arc
Burning at the Stake in Rouen

Life is just full of ups and downs.

Another Angel 

What this Basilique needs is a good mural

Never mind . . .

Excellent Holy Water Font


As I said, the Basilique was quite impressive but now it was time to meet Julien Urgenti for lunch at Sophie's in the nearby St-Just district.

Classic Citroën

Interesting Old Arch

I wonder how Andy is doing?

Sophie's is my favorite spot for lunch
in all of Lyon, great food and great people

The Wine was Good

The lamb was delicious as was the cheese plate.

Fire Up the Creme Brûlée

I opted for the Tiramasu, it was SO GOOD FOR ME TOO!

More Spring Flowers

Fun Building Façade

Another Victim of the Nazis in WWII

Hey, a CHURCH!


It was closed today.

French Chicks are HOT!!!

World War I Memorial

Assassinated by the Nazis

Nice Gate Art

It was a good day that ended with our Senior team practice with only 23 hard working Falcons in attendance. The low numbers were disappointing but the effort was not.

More Days until my Paris Weekend

Travel Friday tomorrow, I'm off again to the warm and sunny South of France, this time to the city of Montpellier.

The Adventure continues . . .


No comments: