Monday, August 23, 2010

SAFF Division I Södra Final Recap


SWEDISH FACT-OF-THE-DAY:
The well known Coca-Cola bottle was designed by a Swede.

The Kristianstadsbladet newspaper's account of our game with the C4 Lions last Saturday can be found at:

2010 Hässleholm Hurricanes
Final Results
3 Wins - 5 Losses
May 8, Limhamn - Lost 25-22
May 16, at Lugi - Lost 24-7
May 22, Ekeby - Won 12-7
May 30, at Ystad - Lost 21-6
June 5, Oskarshamn - Game Cancelled
June 13, at Carlshamn - Won 45-8
June 19, Kristianstad - Lost 49-6
SUMMER BREAK
August 8, at Oskarshamn - Game Cancelled
August 14, Carlshamn - Win 32-0
August 21, at Kristianstad - Lost 17-8

With the exception of the first Kristianstad game, we battled all year long in large part to a very solid defensive effort week after week.

SAFF WEEK #11 RESULTS

SAFF Division I Södra

WEEK #11 RESULTS:
Kristianstad 17 - Hässleholm 8
Limhamn 24 - Lugi 18
Ystad 22 - Ekeby 0
BYE - Carlshamn

FINAL SAFF DIVISION I SÖDRA STANDINGS
Kristianstad C4 Lions 8-0
Ystad Rockets 7-1-1
Limhamm Griffins 4-3-1
Lugi Vikings 4-5
Hässleholm Hurricanes 3-5
Ekeby Greys 1-5-2
Carlshamn Oakleaves 0-8

DIVISION I PLAYOFF GAMES (SORT OF)
Sweden's Division I is broken down into four geographic regions. The top two teams in each region qualify for a soccer-like pool play affair, not a true playoff scenario.

The eight qualifying teams for the 2010 Division I pool play games are:

DIVISION I NORRA (North)
#1 Uppsala 86ers (7-0)
#2 Västerås Roedeers (5-2)

DIVISION I ÖSTRA (East)
#1 Nyköping Baltic Beasts (8-0)
#2 Stockholm Mean Machine B (4-3-1)

DIVISION I VÄSTRA (West)
#1 Örebro Black Knights (10-0)
#2 Göteborg Marvels (7-3)

DIVISION I SÖDRA (South)
#1 Kristianstad C4 Lions (8-0)
#2 Ystad Rockets (7-1-1)

DIVISION I POOL PLAY GAMES:
Saturday, August 28
Group I
Ystad (7-1-1, Södra #2) at Uppsala (7-0, Norra #1)
Göteborg (7-3, Västra #2) at Nyköping (8-0, Östra #1)
Group II
Stockholm (4-3-1, Östra #2) at Örebro (10-0, Västra #1)
Västerås (5-2, Norra #2) at Kristiandstad (8-0, Södra #1)

Saturday, September 4
Group I
Nyköping at Ystad
Göteborg at Uppsala
Group II
Kristianstad at Stockholm
Västerås at Örebro

Saturday, September 11
Group I
Ystad at Göteborg
Uppsala at Nyköping
Group II
Stockholm at Västerås
Örebro at Kristianstad

Saturday, September 18
Winner of Group I at Djurgårdens (Super Series #6 team)
Winner of Group II at Arlanda or STU (Super Series #5 team)

The six team Super Series still has one more weekend of games to finish their regular season. Their last two teams face possible relegation vs. the two Division I Pool Play winners.

The #5 Super Series team will be the loser of this weekend's Arlanda Jets (4-5) at STU Northside Bulls (3-4-1) game.

Djurgårdens IF has sewn up the #6 spot in the Super Series with an 0-9 record. Their final defeat of the Super Series season will come at the hands of the Tyresö Royal Crowns (4-5).

Yes, Virginia, at the end of the season there will be
NO TRUE CHAMPION
of Division I football in Sweden.

6 comments:

David said...

It's just wrong there's no true champion. But I think relegation is the greatest sporting concept never to catch on in the U.S.

George said...

My playoff idea:
1. Still eight teams, the top two from each Division.

2. Single elimination tournament, still three weeks of games.

3. The Division I Champion plays the #6 Super Series team while the Division I Runner-up plays the Super Series #5 team in the relegation round.

4. This plan would eliminate lots of very expensive travel for lots of teams and money IS an issue at the Division I level.

5. Imagine the thrill, if form holds, and you have two #2 teams playing in the third week of the pool play with identical 0-2 records this year. Oh yes, and one of them has to take a 12 hour bus ride to get to this "Autumn Classic."

steveswindle said...

Hi George....I see you're back at it in Europe again, now in Sweden.
Wouldn't "Coaching for Meatballs" be more appropriate this time?
Have fun, I'll be following you.
My old German team is the Osnabruck Tigers, look them up if you are interested. I may go back there for a season or two to coach them after I retire from the FD in three years. In the meantime I'll keep on with the Camarillo Cougars, love youth football!!

Enjoy yourself.....you are living quite the life my friend. Beers are on me when you get back.

George said...

Steve,

See you at Cronies in October to collect on that adult beverage.

George

steveswindle said...

George....ice cold Schooners!!!!
Contact me when you get back....maybe you would come out and watch the Cougars play? Our home field is RM High!!!
I'm coaching the J2 Gold team this year.....12 and 13 year olds, my middle son is a starting LB and FB....tons of fun!!! Hope you have a great summer and when in Kobenhavn....you gotta go see Tivoli Gardens....really beatiful place. Watch out for the Tuborg brewery though....I got pretty torched in that place on a tour. Their beer is quite a bit stronger than ours!!
Cheers

George said...

Steve,

We've been to Tivoli, good times indeed, and you're right about the beer's potency over here.

George