Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving's Three F's: Food, Football and Family


In America, Thanksgiving Day means three things. . . Food, Football and Family!

On Thanksgiving Day we traditionally assemble at my Mother's home to feast. It was a little sparse this year as Andy and Jenn were in Las Vegas and could not attend while Mike and Vanessa spent their first Turkey Day as a married couple with her family.

Not to worry, we will see the four of them on Friday as we attend a second Thanksgiving Day at Laurie's sister's home in Tustin.

FOOD

My Mother's Dining Room
in San Marino, California

This will eventually be the scene of our Carb-Feast 2009!

Funny thing this week, I received e-mails from Claudio Mangano in Catania and Linus Lindén in Hässleholm, both wanting to know about how to prepare a real American Thanksgiving Day meal.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes. . .

My sister Linda holding DELICIOUS Cranberries

IRONBEER, the Traditional Soft Drink of Cuba

First time I've ever seen it in a liter bottle and caffeine free to boot! Not a part of any real American Turkey Day but it worked at Casa Contreras today.

Laurie stirring the gravy to slather on the turkey and stuffing.

I personally mashed these Sweet Potatoes into submission!

Add a lot of butter and some chutney. . .YUM!!!

A Honey Baked Ham is a good supporting dish but. . .

The Turkey is CLEARLY the Star of the Meal!!!

Linda accidently put it into the oven upside down. The result? All the juices made there way down to the white meat which made for incredibly moist meat!

Sometimes accidents are REALLY good!

The Thanksgiving Buffet

My First Plate

The key is to start slowly and calmly build up to a ferocious pace. No. I am not a ham guy. Bring on the gobbler!

Dessert

The traditional pumpkin pie and my niece Lauren's phenomenal cranberry concoction. I had a sliver of both with some vanilla ice cream.

Some in attendance believe that I may have set a new Personal Record for most calories consummed in one meal!


FOOTBALL

The NFL only played three games today.

A staggered triple-header with no two games conflicting on the tube.

First up was Green Bay at Detroit. We watched the first half in Camarillo as we got ready to drive to San Marino and listened to the second half as we drove.

Final Score #1: Packers 34 - Lions 12

Next up was Oakland at Dallas which we saw entirely at Casa Contreras.

Final Score #2: Cowboys 24 - Raiders 7

The final NFL game was the New York Football Giants at Denver. I could not have cared less and did not watch any of it.

Final Score #3: Broncos 26 - Giants 6

Dallas Halftime Show

I found it curious that The Salvation Army sponsored it as the scantily clad Cowboy Cheerleaders did their thing on stage.

I gave Thanks for their outstanding contribution to the spirit of the day!

The NCAA also had a football game on the schedule

The #3 ranked Texas Longhorns invaded College Station, Texas to take on their archrivals, the Texas A&M Aggies.

I LOVE college football SO much more than the somewhat dull, low scoring games that the NFL tends to produce. This game did not fail me!

Colt McCoy is the Longhorn's
Heisman Trophy Candidate QB

Great game tonight with 304 yards passing and 4 TD passes as well as 175 yards rushing and a TD!!!

"I did NOT block him in the back."

Final Score: Longhorns 49 - Aggies 39

Now that was fun shoot-out! Texas finished the regular season at 12-0.


FAMILY

The best part of the day is still seeing your family and/or friends on this great American Holiday. Today lived up to the billing, mostly in the kitchen.

Laurie and her gravy

My sisters
Linda Contreras and Marilyn Wintroath

Even I got into the act a little bit!

It was probably at halftime.

Family Photo

From left to right; George, Chuny Contreras (Mom), Lauren Wintroath (niece), John Wintroath (brother-in-law), Linda Contreras (sister), Marilyn Wintroath (sister), Laurie and Katie (aunt)

A short break in the action

I just had to catch up on the Texas-Texas A&M game between dinner and the serving of the desserts!

One last look at Casa Contreras before driving back to Camarillo

What a GREAT DAY!!!

2 comments:

DPLassen said...

I note we get a photo of your first plate, but no further accounting of the trips to the buffet. And count me as skeptical about the "slivers" of pie.

Thanksgiving really is the Great American Holiday, isn't it?

George said...

I had to put down my camera in order to get serious about eating!